Monday 8 February 2010

Precious


I watched a new movie which has recently been out called 'Precious' last night. Martin was round and Jade and I had been wanting to watch it for a while because we had heard it had done quite well and was up for a few awards ect.....plus Mariah Carey was making an appearance too. However after sitting through the entire movie I found myself feeling left in horror/shock and disgust in the majority of the scenes. I couldn't decide whether I was glad I had watched it or not. Some of the scenes are very disturbing and extremely cruel but I knew this was going to be part of the deal when I decided I wanted to watch it but sometimes you can never really prepare for what might be about to happen.

"It's set in Harlem in 1987's and is the story of Claireece "Precious" Jones, a sixteen-year-old African-American girl born into a life no one would want. She's pregnant for the second time by her absent father; at home, she must wait hand and foot on her mother, a poisonously angry woman who abuses her emotionally and physically. School is a place of chaos, and Precious has reached the ninth grade with good marks and an awful secret: she can neither read nor write.

Precious may sometimes be down, but she is never out. Beneath her impassive expression is a watchful, curious young woman with an inchoate but unshakeable sense that other possibilities exist for her. Threatened with expulsion, Precious is offered the chance to transfer to an alternative school, Each One/Teach One. Precious doesn’t know the meaning of "alternative," but her instincts tell her this is the chance she has been waiting for. In the literacy workshop taught by the patient yet firm Ms. Rain, Precious begins a journey that will lead her from darkness, pain and powerlessness to light, love and self-determination."

Films like these are eye openers and give you an insight into the terrible, traumatic things that are happening to children everyday, all over the world. In that sense I am glad I gave it a chance. Child abuse isn't going to stop over night but with more campaigns and publicity such as the release of the film Precious there is only hope that more and more victims will come forward speak up their problems and get the help they deserve. I guess it was hard for me to watch because the treatment Precious receives from the people who are meant to love you the most (your parents) was just completely alien to me

It made me extremely grateful for the loving family I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment